Sunday, May 21, 2006

Reinventing the Wheel

Postscript:

So, It's been a week and a half since I passed, and I am still relatively floating around on cloud 9. I got my chutzpah back, or something. I still have no job, but I don't care. I'll stand on the street being a homeless lawyer, representing all my brethren homeless people.

But the best thing to report is that I don't know any, not a single one, of repeat bar takers that failed again. Every person I know that failed the first time, passed the second time around. And I know quite a few people who failed. Pretty interesting, no? I don't know how that worked out, but every single person passed. I am so thrilled!

In other news, I am studying again. Since I failed two bar exams the first time around, I figured I'd give both another shot, just in different sittings to increase my chances of passing. The first time, this strategy worked, so I am hoping for lightning to strike twice.

Studying is overall a boring, monotonous and mundane thing, as I've said NUMEROUS times. But now that I am studying for the third time for the MBE, I have found an interesting (for incredibly anal, study nerds like me) thing. I just finished studying for the Feb. bar approximately 3 months ago. This is a good thing because a lot of the stuff is still fresh in my mind.

Now here is the weird thing: because I am incredibly anal, I wrote all my answers to the practice MBE questions on pieces of paper and kept them from the last time I studied. I just did my first set of questions, and compared them (because i am crazy) and I notice two things- 1) I am doing better than the last time I did these questions and 2) in an interesting brain study, out of the ones I got wrong (which are fewer this time) HALF of them I ALSO got wrong the last time. More succinctly, I am getting the some of the SAME questions wrong, despite having studied this stuff upside down and inside out the last time around and making note of the ones I got wrong last time so as not to get them wrong on the real test.

Weird, huh?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am glad you passed the last bar and that you have gotten through another one. I hope you did well this time too. I linked your blog to my site because i think it's worth it for others to learn by your example that this exam can, in fact be beaten.

1:15 PM  
Blogger Sunnyboi said...

Thanks so much for your blog. I found out yesterday that I failed the Bar exam. I am so unbelievably depressed right now. Knowing I have to take (and study for) the Bar again sucks, but I look forward to the day when I can pass too. Thanks again.

9:42 AM  
Blogger not again! said...

hi there - just found out I failed the NJ bar today - I worked really really hard, did all of the barbri stuff, worked and sacrificed so much and still failed. Now, I'm completely horrified and upset. I'm not looking forward to hearing about NY results... btw - I also am clerking for a judge in NJ, which is a good thing because I won't get fired right away. Also, all of the judges, clerks - everyone - has been super suportive without being overbearing and now we're working on a schedule so that the second time will be successful. I was hoping you could pass along a little advice as to how you were able to balance work and studying. Also, will NJ firms not give offers based on bar results? I have been on a lot of interviews so far, but haven't heard anything yet... thoughts?

8:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home